LEVEL 2: Silver Sustainable Partner
Why should you participate in a food rescue program and compost?
- The amount of food wasted is almost exactly equal to the amount of food needed to end hunger.
- Food is the number one item in American landfills.
- Food waste is estimated between 30-40 percent of our food supply.
- Nearly half of our fruits and vegetables get thrown out.
Did you know >>
- Organic waste in landfills generates methane, which is more harmful than CO2.
- Organic waste, such as food waste and yard waste, make up 25 to 50% of what people throw away.
- Composting significantly reduces methane emissions.
- Compost reduces and can even eliminate the need for chemical fertilizers.
- Compost provides carbon sequestration.